*Annoucements*
Get your entries in for "Look Whooooo's Snapping"

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

An apple a day

One thing you should know about me, if you don't already, is that I love to cook. I love to bake. I love to eat. But getting to do these things, even eating, can sometimes, well most times, be very challenging. So, I've learned to sneak it in when I can and make the most of it when possible. Like today, for example. I have been planning to make homemade applesauce (especially for my 6 month old daughter, Audrey, particularly because homemade baby food is very healthy and for the most part tastier than store bought) for quite some time, and today I made it happen while the girls "helped" with the process. Ava was happy to eat the pieces of apple I wasn't planning on using in the dish ;)  and Audrey "sang" to me from her jumper... she knows exactly what I like to hear when I'm cooking ;) I think my girls will make excellent chefs one day... you can never begin introducing the culinary arts to soon!

So, let me share with you what the girls and I were able to happily give our tummies this morning. You might even want to try it yourselves!



Homemade applesauce (the way my momma taught me!)

Ingredients:
4 or 5 gala apples
2 or 3 granny smith apples
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar

Directions:
1. Peel and slice apples. Place sliced apples in pot of water during this step (I do this to reduce enzymatic browning).


2. Drain apples until approximately a 1/4 of cup of water remains.
3. Cook apples until soft.
4. Using a strainer (or perforated spoon), transfer apples from pot to food processor.



5. Add sugar and blend until smooth. (Note: Leave apples sugar free if making for baby. Also, add water from pot to adjust for proper consistency for baby if needed, and re-blend).
6. Transfer to bowl and enjoy. (Optional: sprinkle with cinnamon just before serving).

Note: If saving and freezing sugar free applesauce for baby, place applesauce in ice tray and cover with plastic wrap, allow to cool, place tray in freezer for at least 24 hours or until completely frozen, place each cube in individual freezer bags, label with date and type of food (we don't want to mix these up with pears or squash!), and place back in freezer. Applesauce will keep in freezer for up to 3 months.


The girls and I were most thrilled with our results. Ava actually ask for two helpings!!! Anyone who knows her, knows that she doesn't eat much EVER! (She actually sometimes refuses to eat, but that's a completely different discussion entirely that perhaps one day I'll share with you)! I actually almost fell over. I guess it's just that good :)




We'll be working on this for several days to come. We plan on keeping the doctor away... at least for now ;)

2 comments:

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...